Thursday, August 20, 2009

My big sister


I have 4 sisters. Katherine is my one and only sister who has lived longer than I have. Several decades ago I didn't have much appreciation for the teeny little bit of extra knowledge and experience that 21 months might give her. I was able to talk with her for a while the other day and I found myself appreciating the many ways she has been so generous and patient as a big sister this year. Even though we are different in many ways, I have loved enjoying and sharing the many ways we are one and the same. It helps me, as a mother, to know that I am not the only one who is simultaneously thrilled and in awe of my children, at the same time painfully worried about what they will deal with as they break away on their own. I am reminded of how lucky I am to have such a sister. What would we do without each other?
I have been scanning and organizing the thousands of slides my parents have, and some of my favorites are from when I was too young to remember. I might not be able to recall this moment with Katherine, but somewhere in my soul, I cherish it.

2 comments:

Katherine England said...

i remember this moment well. i was grabbing the book saying : I WROTE THIS BOOK ALL ABOUT ME AND YOU CAN'T READ IT.
i am the first born after all
i enjoyed our talk the other day

Barbara Brady Stevens said...

Gorgeous picture, wonderful memory.